|An easier than you think meal to impress your mates! :]|
- 1kg Mussels - scrubbed and bearded. (bearded is the posh word meaning to remove the funny looking stuff mussels use to attach themselves to rocks)
- 300ml of single cream
- A pinch of chives (fresh or dry)
- 1tsp Dijon Mustard
- A bit of salt and black pepper
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 3 shallots diced or sliced finely
- small knob of butter
- Secret ingredient: 500ml bottle of Kopparberg mixed fruits cider (adds fruity flavours and intense colour!)
Serve with: A warm yummy French stick with plenty of butter to mop up the lashings of the sexy sauce!
Tip: I prefer to buy the smaller mussels as some people find the larger ones harder to chew.
Also: You can cheat on this dish by buying the packet cream mussels found in the supermarket, then just add the other ingredients except the cream! Still a nice dish - just not as fresh!
1. Rinse the mussels in cold water thoroughly. If any of the mussels are open, tap it, if it do not close throw it away as it means it is dead :( .... poor guy!
2. Melt the butter in a large pan, then throw in the shallots. After approx 2 minutes whack up the heat to the max and add the mussels and 150ml of the cider.
3. Add the garlic, chives, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper into the pan and stir.
4. Place the lid on the pan and cook those babies for 5 - 8 minutes until all the mussels have opened. If any of the mussels are still closed throw them in the bin as they won't do your stomach much good!
5. Serve the mussels in bowls and place a large bowl in the middle of the table to place your empty shells after eating those tasty buggers.
If you want to look like you really know what you're doing, break a mussel shell in half and use it as a spoon to eat your mussels. After all, it's what the French do!